Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Holistic Look At Men, Lifestyle, Environment and Good Health.

http://www.blog.farmusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/NewYears12.jpg
     I am a Family Physician with special interest in Preventive Health Care who came to the realization that almost all diseases are lifestyle related.  The top killers in my country and many countries especially the developed countries are definitely life-style related.  The two most important lifestyles that are pertinent to good health are a lifestyle rich in exercise and a lifestyle of good eating habit – eating healthy foods that are chemical free.  There is something common in these two – FARMING. 

     Incidentally, FARMING is also the greatest inheritance that I received from my parents.  As a little boy, I was actively involved in helping my father in the planting of paddies and vegetables.  This explains the mystery of my passion in Farming and anything that is eco-friendly. Besides attending to my faithful patients, I am also the caretaker of an orchard on the hill, several vertical gardens at my house, a bio-pond and a roof-top vertical vegetable farm.  I also created a FARMING EXERCISE PAGE in my Facebook as a community service to encourage people from all walks of life to participate in FARMING EXERCISE to produce healthy vegetables that are devoid of chemical for own consumption, for good health.  I am killing two birds with one stone.  That’s not all.

     My conviction that human beings and his environment are one and inseparable is unshakable.  Thus, I have also ventured further than just promoting FARMING EXERCISE.  After shifting to my new house with a very eco-friendly environment, I haven’t fall sick in the last three years, not even the frequent pharyngitis that I used to have.  I attribute this to the lifestyle change and the cool, de-stressing positive effect of my green-wall, bio-pond and roof-top farm that are now part of me.  They create a great balance in my mind, body and immune system.  This good story must be told to the world because I feel I am one of the few who is blessed and not everyone is as fortunate as me.  I feel that a big part of what I learned and experienced has to go back to the community.  Thus, the passion in my life is not all.  I have a great purpose in life.  I have a dream; a legacy to work on, a castle in the air to build.

     Once upon a time, our environment was nothing but green.  Sadly, that doesn't remain long.  Trees were slashed mercilessly at magical speed by the most intelligent species on earth out of greed and stupidity.  Today, our green jungles are gone.  Concrete ‘jungles’ sprout everywhere.  Global warming set in quickly. Then the El Nina phenomenon and melting of icebergs in the north and south poles follow.  The awesome force of nature such as tornadoes and hurricanes strikes again and again.   Flash floods, droughts and forest fires occur at increasing frequency. Many small islands in middle of the ocean are sinking with the rising sea level.  The heat stress on our body, mind and immune system probably contributed greatly to the onset and progression of many diseases. 
    
     Seeing all these happening, I can’t close my eyes, doing nothing knowing that I understand the interconnectedness of human health and his environment better than most people.  Thus, I am working on my legacy to educate people to green the earth.  I have personally put aside much time and invest much money on researching on the various eco-products that can be used to green the earth.  We can’t bring back the virgin green jungles but if we can convert as many concrete walls in the concrete jungle to living green-walls, our concrete cities can be converted to green cities again.   We can expand the green lungs in our environment and live healthier and perhaps longer.  That is the closest we can get to.

To date, I am happy to say that much of my effort is bearing fruit.  One of them is the innovative soilless planting media that my company 1 Eco Innovation is launching soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment